Welcome to Shannon Rowing Club!
Shannon Rowing Club, based on Sarsfield Bridge, Limerick, is the oldest rowing Club in Limerick City.
In 1866 a group of prominent business people and rowing enthusiasts gathered to set up a rowing club that was based on the river Shannon. These people included Father J. Purcell and the prominent businessman Sir Peter Tait. Tait was the owner of one of the biggest clothing factories in Great Britain and Ireland. In 1866, the year he helped set up Shannon Rowing Club, he became Limerick’s only known non-Irish mayor.
The club had several homes prior to the decision to build a clubhouse on the Wellesley Pier. Fundraising started in 1893 and around the turn of the century a worldwide competition was launched for architects to submit designs for the new club house. This was to be judged by the Royal Architects Institute, before a shortlist of three would be presented to the Shannon Rowing Club. William Clifford Smith was chosen, and the clubhouse was occupied in January 1906, at a final cost of just over five thousand pounds.
We do our indoor training at our Sarsfield Bridge clubhouse on winter evenings and when the weather is too bad to go on the water.